POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 19 Sep 2008 03:54:51
Message: <48d35acb@news.povray.org>
> Yes, that is correct. The renderer has to have a list of light sources. I also
> did first what you do now: light sources are normal objects with emission. And
> all images on my page are rendered that way. This "new" method is great because
> it improves speed so much. It is worth implementing.

I think the new feature is working properly now. Still have to test a
bit more. But the speedup is really astonishing. The newest image (the
grid of colorful blocks) on my site was first rendered in over 24 hours
with the old and slow method.

With the new direct lighting method I can achieve same noise levels in
less than hour, more like 30minutes! Than is more than one order of
magnitude speedup! And the smaller the light source is, the bigger the
difference gets.

W00t.