POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Games programmers (Message 31 to 40 of 179)
From: Leroy Whetstone
Subject: Re: Games programmers
Date: 10 Sep 2008 23:42:30
Message: <48C8B026.2040804@joplin.com>
Warp wrote:

>   Why reinvent the wheel, when there are lots of such libraries already
> available and widely used in games?

Have you used those libraries? Most are undocumented, unfinished,
undesiable or COSTs. What's worst is you don't know what you got until
you try and to use them.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 11 Sep 2008 05:07:00
Message: <48c8dfb4$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:

> If you can learn an obscure language like Haskell, you can learn C++.

I see. And what do you base this observation on?

Haskell is a small, simple, logical language. C++ is a huge, messy,
complex language. I don't see how learning an easy language should
enable me to learn a hard language.

> If you
> learned C++, or maybe Java if you preferred, you could use that skill to get
> a job you would like (games or not).

I already *know* Java. ;-)

(Although it sounds like they've added a few new language features since
I used it. And I am 100% certain that most of the APIs I know have been
deprecated, undeprecated, and redeprecated at least twice by now. For
some reason, the Java guys like to completely change all the APIs with
each minor release...)

> Why don't you put the time into it?

What makes you think I haven't?

Actually, at college we spent a whole semester programming in C. I'm
sure I've recounted the tale before. Basically C is a language designed
for experts. If you do something dumb, it will make absolutely no
attempt to save you. It will just merrily produce garbage, and leave you
with no hope of finding out why. Apparently there are people who know
the Secret Techniques for debugging C programs, and even writing C
programs that are correct in the first place - but this wasn't part of
the syllabus.

 From what I've read, C++ is exactly like C, but 80% more complicated.
Given that I could bearly produce working code in C with the tutor's
help, my chances of getting anywhere with C++ are basically nil.

> had a lot of fun with C++ and OpenGL in college. It's really not that hard
> to learn for someone like you.

As I say, the trouble is that if your program doesn't work, there is no
way you can ever find out why. (Especially if you're using something
like OpenGL. It's an extremely complicated API, and unless you pay money
it's not possible to get hold of useful documentation.)

I've actually thought about trying to use OpenGL from Haskell, but I
keep being put off by just how huge and complex the API is...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/