POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Sep 2008 10:15:29
Message: <48c92801$1@news.povray.org>
>>> If you consider that this is harder than learning Haskell...
>>
>> I still don't get it: Learning Haskell is *easy*, not hard.
>
> For some definition of easy and hard. Which may not be the same for
> everyone in this case :-) Ordinarily people choose the easiest way; yet
> Haskell does not get that many users.

Learning Haskell is like learning algebra; once you grasp a few basic
principles, the rest follows from there. It isn't instantly obvious that
(for example) the solution to ax^2 + bx + c = 0 is x = 1/2a (-b +/
Sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)), but if you know the basic principles you can at least
verify that it works.

Learning C is like learning the works of Shakespear; you just have to
memorise a huge wedge of stuff. If you come across something you haven't
memorised... sorry.

As for ordinary people... I think you'll find they choose the *most
popular* way, which may or may not actually be any good. ;-) (See
Betamax vs VHS, IE vs Netscape, etc.)

I will say this: Haskell is a great *language*, but the *tools* for it
are sadly lacking, as are the *libraries*. C may be one of the most
horrid languages ever invented, but at least it has an insane collection
of tools and libraries, the like of which few others can match.

>> This presumably doesn't stop a program from segfaulting when you try
>> to append a string from stdin to a string constant or some such.
>
> I figure that if you use the std::string class you're safe from that. I
> haven't tried, though.

Wait... you mean they made it a class?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/