POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DirectSound Buffer Size Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  DirectSound Buffer Size (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Saul Luizaga
Subject: DirectSound Buffer Size
Date: 7 Sep 2008 16:43:14
Message: <48c43ce2$1@news.povray.org>
Hello POV-Ray community. I have a question for those programming
experts: I'm looking for change that buffer in a non-programmatic way,
in windows registry if possible (couldn't find it myself).

If you ask why: I have a Win98-based game(STTA: Starship Troopers:
Terran Ascendancy) and the sound stutters and I this is because this low
buffering. I know this game uses DirectSound. Ihave also downloaded the
both patches: the nvidia patch(D3D.dll) & the game patch 1.1
(StarshipTroopers.exe), I have also searched & downloaded the latest
fmod.dll (3.2.1, the game brings the 3.2). I know there is a ver. 3.7
and 4.x of fmod.dll but those versions don't have anymore dll entries
the game needs.

If you know a free utility or a way to do it manually would greatly
appreciated, all I could find searching the Internet (Google, Cuil,
DogPile) was programmatic ways to do it, and/or configure it for
specific programs/applications.

Thank you in advance.

Post a reply to this message

Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Hello POV-Ray community. I have a question for those programming
> experts: I'm looking for change that buffer in a non-programmatic way,
> in windows registry if possible (couldn't find it myself).

  I have no idea how DirectSound works in this regard, but it might well
be that the sound buffer size is set by the program itself and cannot be
modified externally. (In other words, it might be that sound buffers are
set up on a per-program basis, with settings specified by the program
itself, and cannot be affected from anywhere else.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> Hello POV-Ray community. I have a question for those programming
>> experts: I'm looking for change that buffer in a non-programmatic way,
>> in windows registry if possible (couldn't find it myself).
>
>   I have no idea how DirectSound works in this regard, but it might well
> be that the sound buffer size is set by the program itself and cannot be
> modified externally. (In other words, it might be that sound buffers are
> set up on a per-program basis, with settings specified by the program
> itself, and cannot be affected from anywhere else.)

hmmm... for what I have found on the search engines and your explanation
probably this is the only way it works, thank you Warp.

I'm going to try MS Virtual PC, installing Win98 or Win2K and see what
happens. BTW I'm using 'Run As Win98' option in the shortcut on WinXP SP3.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 8 Sep 2008 10:43:33
Message: <48c53a14@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> I'm going to try MS Virtual PC, installing Win98 or Win2K and see what
> happens. BTW I'm using 'Run As Win98' option in the shortcut on WinXP SP3.

  Actually that might cause more problems than solve. Have you tried
running it normally?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 9 Sep 2008 14:38:05
Message: <48c6c28d$1@news.povray.org>
> If you know a free utility or a way to do it manually would greatly
> appreciated, all I could find searching the Internet (Google, Cuil,
> DogPile) was programmatic ways to do it, and/or configure it for specific
> programs/applications.

As Warp says, the program sets its own buffer sizes - I don't know of any
way to override that.

Did you try turning down/off sound hardware acceleration?  (Control Panel ->
Sounds and Audio ->  Speaker Settings -> Advanced -> Performance)

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 15 Sep 2008 08:02:58
Message: <48ce4ef2@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> I'm going to try MS Virtual PC, installing Win98 or Win2K and see what
>> happens. BTW I'm using 'Run As Win98' option in the shortcut on WinXP SP3.
>
>   Actually that might cause more problems than solve. Have you tried
> running it normally?

Yeah and it doesn't even run, same with 'Run as Win 2K'

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 15 Sep 2008 08:08:08
Message: <48ce5028$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> If you know a free utility or a way to do it manually would greatly
>> appreciated, all I could find searching the Internet (Google, Cuil,
>> DogPile) was programmatic ways to do it, and/or configure it for
>> specific programs/applications.
>
> As Warp says, the program sets its own buffer sizes - I don't know of
> any way to override that.
>
> Did you try turning down/off sound hardware acceleration?  (Control
> Panel -> Sounds and Audio ->  Speaker Settings -> Advanced -> Performance)

Actually this game takes advantage of Hardware Sound Acceleration, it
has a setting for software and hardware buffers to use, was in software
by default with no improvements.

I have been able to play it normally for 1 mission at the time, when I
try to start the following mission is when the sound problems show, at
some point in game for small instants the sound stutters but is not a
big deal until the next mission. BTW i have 33 hardware sound buffers.

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 15 Sep 2008 08:10:26
Message: <48ce50b2@news.povray.org>
The game is playable so is not big deal and never play more than 1
mission a day so in case I'd want to I could save it, quit it, and start
it again to go to next mission.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Best Regards.
Saul.