POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightning in movies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 06:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Lightning in movies (Message 21 to 30 of 40)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Lightning in movies
Date: 6 Sep 2008 05:01:36
Message: <48c246f0@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>         The thunder was so loud that all three of us fell to the ground.

  That's approximately what should happen in the movies as well: If the
lightning is so close that it's in sync with the thunder, it should be
*really* loud (and even dangerous).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 6 Sep 2008 05:50:43
Message: <bjk4c4lnrs0ru11qt48039djrti3m28bgp@4ax.com>
On 2 Sep 2008 14:26:00 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  So why are movie makers so afraid of putting a realistic pause between
>the lightning and the thunder? They know there should be a pause, all
>the viewers know it, no viewer would get bothered by there having a
>realistic pause because they know it should be there. So why? Why this
>odd rule?

You keep forgetting that "the movies" is not real life.
Do you ever go to live theatre where the art of story telling has even more
constraints? If you did then you would understand that sometimes the technical
problems lead to compromise. What is the point of having a role of thunder when
people are speaking? The audience would not be able to hear the words. Should a
film of a 24 hour storyline last a day?
It seems to me that you object to artistic licence in the movies.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> You keep forgetting that "the movies" is not real life.

It seems to me that Warp sometimes confuses the fuzzy imprecision of
human-human interaction with the required precision of computational maths.
> Do you ever go to live theatre where the art of story telling has even more
> constraints? If you did then you would understand that sometimes the technical
> problems lead to compromise. What is the point of having a role of thunder when
> people are speaking? The audience would not be able to hear the words. Should a
> film of a 24 hour storyline last a day?

Didn't Andy Warhol produce a film that did just that? I suppose I could
Google it but I'm sure someone else will do it for me :-)

John

--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei

Post a reply to this message

>> You keep forgetting that "the movies" is not real life.

Oops, forgot to say congrats on your TC-RTC success

John

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:46:34 +0100, Doctor John <joh### [at] homecom> wrote:

>Didn't Andy Warhol produce a film that did just that? I suppose I could
>Google it but I'm sure someone else will do it for me :-)

I'm sure he did, it is the sort of thing he would have done.
And think it clever.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:47:53 +0100, Doctor John <joh### [at] homecom> wrote:

>Doctor John wrote:
>> Stephen wrote:
>>> You keep forgetting that "the movies" is not real life.
>
>Oops, forgot to say congrats on your TC-RTC success

???

Winning a one horse race has little value.

But thanks anyway.
--

Regards
     Stephen