POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightning in movies : Re: Lightning in movies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightning in movies
From: Stephen
Date: 6 Sep 2008 05:50:43
Message: <bjk4c4lnrs0ru11qt48039djrti3m28bgp@4ax.com>
On 2 Sep 2008 14:26:00 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  So why are movie makers so afraid of putting a realistic pause between
>the lightning and the thunder? They know there should be a pause, all
>the viewers know it, no viewer would get bothered by there having a
>realistic pause because they know it should be there. So why? Why this
>odd rule?

You keep forgetting that "the movies" is not real life.
Do you ever go to live theatre where the art of story telling has even more
constraints? If you did then you would understand that sometimes the technical
problems lead to compromise. What is the point of having a role of thunder when
people are speaking? The audience would not be able to hear the words. Should a
film of a 24 hour storyline last a day?
It seems to me that you object to artistic licence in the movies.

--

Regards
     Stephen