POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who was looking for message-passing OS examples? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Who was looking for message-passing OS examples? (Message 35 to 44 of 64)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: OS what-ifs
Date: 14 Aug 2008 12:13:53
Message: <48a459c1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Except that (say) GIF supports animation and only 256 colours and 1-bit
> alpha, whereas PNG supports only single images, but with 24-bit colour
> and 8-bit alpha, and TIFF supports something else again...

Um, yes? So? You don't think you can abstract that?  (BTW, GIF supports
more than that, as you can change the color table after each row. FWIW.)

>> No they're not. Amiga OS devices are things that listen for and
>> respond to typed messages.  Certainly the narrator isn't a "stream of
>> octets", nor is the clock, nor is the audio device.
>
> The narrator accepts a stream of octets. It just interprets them as
> ASCII text and attempts to synthesize speach for them. But there's
> nothing stopping you from feeding it with arbitrary binary gibberish.

And the narrator, when read, returns discreet messages with X/Y
coordinates. Which isn't a stream of octets.

Of course, at some level of detail, everything is a stream of octets.
It's how the octets are interpreted that's interesting. At some level of
detail, everything's a voltage too - that's not an interesting level of
detail for this discussion either. :-)

>>> Oh, well, other than the "minor detail" of compatibility, there's no
>>> problem at all! ;-)
>>
>> Right. How much C is there that couldn't be ported with relative ease
>> to C#?
>
> Um... surely porting C code to *any* other language is intractably
> difficult?

Uh, no?  Porting C code to C++ is actually fairly easy (almost trivial),
for example. C# isn't all that different from C, conceptually speaking.

>>> (You recall that "Linux" is actually a tiny bit of software which
>>> inherited compatibility with Unix, thus earning an instant library of
>>> userland tools, right?)
>>
>> Sure. Most of which suck. ;-)  Just look at the file system layout you
>> wound up with.
>
> What, you mean assigning permissions only to the person that owns the
> file is a bad idea? You do surprise me. ;-)

No, I mean putting everything that hasn't anything to do with users in a
directory called "user" is probably a sign of legacy code. :-)

> But my point is... it's much faster than writing an entire OS from
> scratch, all by yourself. And it instantly gives you a huge library of
> usable software. Otherwise I suspect Linux would still be nowhere...

Oh, no doubt doing things the same old way makes it easier to port code.
Not always trivial, mind, but certainly easier. Most operating systems
that are still around are based on old cruft from 20 years ago for just
that reason. And obviously Linux didn't do a *sufficiently* good job of
it, or the amount of UNIX software that people actually want to use and
is portable is not enough to give Linux significant market share. It's
really, really difficult to make something that big *actually*
compatible. (See, for example, all the strangeness in any autoconf.)
It's probably almost as easy to port most non-GUI Linux utilities to
Windows as it is to port them to (say) Solaris. The port may be rather
poor (like, it might not interact with stuff the way you want it to
under Windows, such as not being startable with "net start" or not
recording how many unread emails you have for the login screen, say),
but it'll probably run as well as on Linux without too much hassle.

I'd guess things are way easier to port from UNIX to Windows than from
either to AmigaOS or Singularity, for example.

I think it's not so much that Linus T said "If I make it look like UNIX,
I can use all the tools."  I think it was probably at least as much "If
I make it look like UNIX, I won't have to figure out how an OS *should*
work."  Hence, it starts out with all the brokenness of UNIX, then
slowly piles on even more patches to try to make it useful, as long as
you're not trying to maintain binary compatibility anyway.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Ever notice how people in a zombie movie never already know how to

Post a reply to this message

> I think it's not so much that Linus T said "If I make it look like UNIX,
> I can use all the tools."  I think it was probably at least as much "If
> I make it look like UNIX, I won't have to figure out how an OS *should*
> work."  Hence, it starts out with all the brokenness of UNIX, then
> slowly piles on even more patches to try to make it useful, as long as
> you're not trying to maintain binary compatibility anyway.

The mental image of coding a broken system from scratch and then piling
more complexity on top really amused me for some reason.

I guess because it's so true. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> The mental image of coding a broken system from scratch and then piling
> more complexity on top really amused me for some reason.

Welcome to the wonderful world of backward compatibility! :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

>> The mental image of coding a broken system from scratch and then
>> piling more complexity on top really amused me for some reason.
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of backward compatibility! :-)

"Darren puts the 'backwards' in 'backwards compatibility'." ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/