POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who was looking for message-passing OS examples? : Re: OS what-ifs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:06:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS what-ifs
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Aug 2008 18:56:42
Message: <48a4b82a$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:27:48 -0700, Darren New wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> Really? I thought that was the entire *point* of package managers.
>
> To some extent. Package managers tell you which dynamic libraries are
> needed for which programs. They don't enforce anything, and you cannot
> (for example) look at an RPM without installing it and know if it'll
> work right once you're done installing it.

Well, RPMs aren't package *managers*, they're packages.  RPM is a package
manager, and it does a reasonably good job of enforcing dependencies -
you can override with --nodeps, but IME it does a good job for those who
need them enforced and lets those who know better if a dependency is
reasonable or not override.

Jim