POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who was looking for message-passing OS examples? : Re: Singularity Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:06:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Singularity
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Aug 2008 19:24:28
Message: <48a4beac$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:57:25 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Does anybody *else* find it ironic that Micro$oft - the corporation
> internationally renowned for its poor quality, buggy products - is
> interested in methods of producing high-quality software?

No.  Well, at least, I don't.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft, *however* it doesn't surprise me that they
would look for ways to improve code quality without needing to invest
massive amounts of energy, time, and money to do so.  Better production
methods are one way of accomplishing this goal.

I've always said that Microsoft is outstanding at producing software
that's "just good enough" - ie, it is buggy, but it's good *enough* that
people aren't flocking away.

That doesn't mean that they wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't go through a
process of striving for continuous improvement in their development
processes.  And clearly that's something they do (I've known people who
have worked in MS Engineering, so this isn't conjecture on my part - it's
based on conversations with former colleagues who worked at MS in that
capacity).

Jim