POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really big numbers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Really big numbers (Message 31 to 40 of 44)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: Really big numbers
Date: 29 Jul 2008 06:35:57
Message: <op.ue1udlcuc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:20:44 +0100, andrel
<a_l### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> On 28-Jul-08 23:27, Warp wrote:
>> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> And what exactly does this all prove? I haven't seen anything in those
> links that I did not know (but I admit I did not read everything) and
> nothing that even remotely supports your 'The real size of the universe
> is completely impossible to know. It could be just slightly larger than
> the observable universe, or it could be staggeringly larger. There's
> just no way of knowing.' but I might have missed it.
> Unless you are in a roundabout way referring to the problem that you can
> not define the 'now' for which you are computing the size.

Imagine standing in a circle of light and all around you is darkness. If
the light increases in diameter and the floor increases in size (i.e. not
revealing new areas of floor) and the increase is such that you cannot
reach the circumference by any means; does the floor you're standing on
extend beyond the light?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

>moderately large integers, e.g. the sum of the digits in 100!.

Reminds me of how I was quite surprised at the number of unique sorts that can be
obtained from a deck of cards, 52!, or 8.0658175170943878571660636856404e+67.

Post a reply to this message