POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really big numbers : Re: Really big numbers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really big numbers
From: Phil Cook
Date: 29 Jul 2008 06:35:57
Message: <op.ue1udlcuc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:20:44 +0100, andrel
<a_l### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> On 28-Jul-08 23:27, Warp wrote:
>> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> And what exactly does this all prove? I haven't seen anything in those
> links that I did not know (but I admit I did not read everything) and
> nothing that even remotely supports your 'The real size of the universe
> is completely impossible to know. It could be just slightly larger than
> the observable universe, or it could be staggeringly larger. There's
> just no way of knowing.' but I might have missed it.
> Unless you are in a roundabout way referring to the problem that you can
> not define the 'now' for which you are computing the size.

Imagine standing in a circle of light and all around you is darkness. If
the light increases in diameter and the floor increases in size (i.e. not
revealing new areas of floor) and the increase is such that you cannot
reach the circumference by any means; does the floor you're standing on
extend beyond the light?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com