POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:52 EDT (-0400)
  Back to the future (Message 105 to 114 of 234)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
Date: 24 Jul 2008 17:00:20
Message: <4888ed64@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:31:19 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> It's a basic premise of signal processing that you cannot recover data
>>> that isn't there any more. Shannon's theorum and all that.
>>>
>>> Whether you can *fake* something that "looks" right is another matter.
>>> But *recover*? No. Impossible.
>>
>> At least as far as we know today.
>
> Right. And the fact that a mathematical proof of its impossibility
> doesn't matter either, right?

Mathematical proofs have been proven wrong before, you know.

> How many years do you think it will be before somebody solves the
> halting problem, or develops a lossless compression algorithm with an
> infinite compression ratio?

Who knows?  Technology evolves over time.  Even 10 years ago, the idea of
having a computer the size of a notebook that was as powerful as a then-
current Cray supercomputer?  Yet here we are.

Can they be solved using current computing technologies?  Probably not.
Can they be solved with something that makes our current technology look
like a toy?  Possibly.  Who knows?

>> If you take a photo of something out of focus, you could never recover
>> the original picture again, right?
>>
>> Wrong.  http://refocus-it.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Pretty cool plugin.  Even 5 years ago, something like this would have
>> been thought to be totally impossible.
>
> I've always thought that, logically, this ought to be possible in
> principle. I mean, defocusing is basically a convolution, so it should
> be possible to deconvolute it to some degree... (Similarly with echo
> cancellation.)

My point, though, is that there are people - even exceptionally smart
people - who say "no way no how is 'x' ever going to be possible" and
they're proven wrong.  Maybe not in their lifetimes, but who's to say
what's really possible?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Right. And the fact that a mathematical proof of its impossibility
>> doesn't matter either, right?
>
> Mathematical proofs have been proven wrong before, you know.

Yes - but it's really extremely rare. Especially for very simple proofs.
The ones that turn out to be wrong are usually the highly complex ones.

>> How many years do you think it will be before somebody solves the
>> halting problem, or develops a lossless compression algorithm with an
>> infinite compression ratio?
>
> Who knows?  Technology evolves over time.  Even 10 years ago, the idea of
> having a computer the size of a notebook that was as powerful as a then-
> current Cray supercomputer?  Yet here we are.
>
> Can they be solved using current computing technologies?  Probably not.
> Can they be solved with something that makes our current technology look
> like a toy?  Possibly.  Who knows?

See, that's just it. The halting problem is unsolvable in a theoretical
computer with an infinite amount of memory, allowed to run for an
infinite amount of time. It's not a question of computers not being
"powerful enough", the problem is unsolvable even theoretically.

Unless quantum computing ever works some day, and it turns out to have
_fundamentally_ different capabilities, the halting problem will never
be solved.

The impossibility of a lossless compression algorithm with an infinite
compression ratio doesn't even depend on the model of computing used; it
is a trivial exercise in logic.

> My point, though, is that there are people - even exceptionally smart
> people - who say "no way no how is 'x' ever going to be possible" and
> they're proven wrong.  Maybe not in their lifetimes, but who's to say
> what's really possible?

And *my* point is that some things are "impossible" because nobody has
yet figured out how, while other things are "impossible" because they
defy the laws of causality. And there's a rather bit difference.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:07:08 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Right. And the fact that a mathematical proof of its impossibility
>>> doesn't matter either, right?
>>
>> Mathematical proofs have been proven wrong before, you know.
>
> Yes - but it's really extremely rare. Especially for very simple proofs.
> The ones that turn out to be wrong are usually the highly complex ones.

True.  But as I said, not *impossible*.  I don't like absolutes when it
comes to things like this; people who think in absolutes usually limit
themselves, and also tend to have a very jaded view of the world.

To borrow a line from Patriot Games:  Shades of grey.  The world is
shades of grey.

>>> How many years do you think it will be before somebody solves the
>>> halting problem, or develops a lossless compression algorithm with an
>>> infinite compression ratio?
>>
>> Who knows?  Technology evolves over time.  Even 10 years ago, the idea
>> of having a computer the size of a notebook that was as powerful as a
>> then- current Cray supercomputer?  Yet here we are.
>>
>> Can they be solved using current computing technologies?  Probably not.
>> Can they be solved with something that makes our current technology
>> look like a toy?  Possibly.  Who knows?
>
> See, that's just it. The halting problem is unsolvable in a theoretical
> computer with an infinite amount of memory, allowed to run for an
> infinite amount of time. It's not a question of computers not being
> "powerful enough", the problem is unsolvable even theoretically.

Using current thinking about how computers work.  If/when the computer
science geniuses crack true AI, then the halting problem can be solved,
can it not?  Can not humans evaluate the halting problem, at least in
limited cases?

If you only thing in terms of turing machine-style computers, then you're
absolutely right.  But turing machines are not (or rather, may not be)
the end-all be-all of computing for the rest of the life of the universe.

> Unless quantum computing ever works some day, and it turns out to have
> _fundamentally_ different capabilities, the halting problem will never
> be solved.

*Bingo*, that's my point.  There's that "unless" phrase.

> The impossibility of a lossless compression algorithm with an infinite
> compression ratio doesn't even depend on the model of computing used; it
> is a trivial exercise in logic.

Again, someday we may have really exceptional AI that can figure this
stuff out, not based on current computing technologies.

> And *my* point is that some things are "impossible" because nobody has
> yet figured out how, while other things are "impossible" because they
> defy the laws of causality. And there's a rather bit difference.

Sure, but solving the halting problem or properly colouring a photo that
started in black and white is not something that defies the laws of
causality.  It merely defies our technological abilities at this time.
It's true that it may never be solved, but if there's one thing humanity
has proven through the ages is that we usually can find a way - we just
have to think in ways we haven't thought before.

After all, two thousand years ago, the earth was flat because nobody
could comprehend the idea that it wasn't.  Well, I say nobody - there
were some who did, and they were branded as heretics and in many cases
they were killed for it.  Turns out they were right.

Be a heretic. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message