POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 25 Jul 2008 06:11:22
Message: <4889a6ca$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> If Canon had left RAW support in the point-and-shoot digicams, that
>> would not have prevented power users to buy SLRs.
>
> Maybe for most of them, but I'm sure there are a group of people who had
> to strech their budgets etc to just be able to afford the cheapest Canon
> with RAW support.  If Canon offered RAW in their cheap models, they
> would surely lose some sales of the more expensive models.
>
> But like you say, I'm sure they worked all this out with simulations and
> market research etc before making a decision, there is no way their
> finance department would have allowed it otherwise ;-)

There is also the cost that Canon would have associated if they did
leave RAW support enabled on the point-and-shoot cameras. That being the
cost price of tech support and returns from people who just do not
understand that format. JPEG is pretty well understood, to the extent it
needs to be, by people who just want to take a snap shot and email it to
the family. RAW formats aren't. Simple reason, Windows doesn't
automatically open the picture in preview, and if they just emailed the
RAW file to someone that person probably would not be able to open it.

I'd guess that Canon worked that information into their market research
before they did anything, as well.