POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Phil Cook
Date: 25 Jul 2008 06:15:52
Message: <op.ueuepe2ac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:31:59 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

>>> I don't know that to be the case.  Again, a case of one's ability to
>>> fathom how something like that is done doesn't translate to "there's no
>>> way it could possibly be done".
>>
>> It's a basic premise of signal processing that you cannot recover data
>> that isn't there any more. Shannon's theorum and all that.
>>
>> Whether you can *fake* something that "looks" right is another matter.
>> But *recover*? No. Impossible.
>
> At least as far as we know today.

If the grains in the film reacted to colour in some currently unreadable
fashion and/or those alterations were transferred to the photo itself then
you could, in theory, recover colour from a B&W photo or film by reading
those imperfections.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com