POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lawn Laser Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Lawn Laser (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Lawn Laser
Date: 7 Jul 2008 05:46:51
Message: <8cp3745m5ldllordnphhk1katb8n0rghif@4ax.com>
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:17:28 +0200, "scott" <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote:

>I saw something once, some sort of automatic thing that goes around your
>land by itself, it has some sort of positioning system so it knows where to
>go, can "see" how long the grass is and of course actually cuts it.  Never
>needed emptying, got it's power somehow from the grass itself, and produced
>this white liquid which was ok to actually drink!

Is that the thing that also converts the grass into fertiliser and at the end of
its useful life can be rendered into a protein thingy that can be consumed?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 7 Jul 2008 05:51:53
Message: <4871e739$1@news.povray.org>
>>I saw something once, some sort of automatic thing that goes around your
>>land by itself, it has some sort of positioning system so it knows where
>>go, can "see" how long the grass is and of course actually cuts it.  Never
>>needed emptying, got it's power somehow from the grass itself, and
>>produced
>>this white liquid which was ok to actually drink!
>
> Is that the thing that also converts the grass into fertiliser and at the
> end of
> its useful life can be rendered into a protein thingy that can be
> consumed?

I heard this was the case, but the demo I saw didn't show this bit.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Jul 2008 06:05:10
Message: <eiq3749gtfh0t0soiu2hvesj8q1o8h17hr@4ax.com>
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:52:25 +0200, "scott" <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote:

>I heard this was the case, but the demo I saw didn't show this bit.

;)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 7 Jul 2008 12:35:34
Message: <487245d6$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I saw something once, some sort of automatic thing that goes around your
> land by itself, it has some sort of positioning system so it knows where
> to go, can "see" how long the grass is and of course actually cuts it.
> Never needed emptying, got it's power somehow from the grass itself, and
> produced this white liquid which was ok to actually drink!

I'd have one of those (electric one, not the protein-version), if the
darn things wouldn't cost 2000 euros (well, you *can* have one for 1000
euros, but that won't drive itself to loading point when it gets out of
power).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 7 Jul 2008 13:27:09
Message: <487251ed@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote in message
> That's probably backwards, more power = less cutting time,
> less cutting time = less chance of fire.
> I'd think that a 35 watt laser would singe grass perty easy.
> Lasers are pricey though, $500 - $2000 per tube, and worse,
> they have a shelf life of 3 - 12 months.

hmmm ..... tractors (not lawn tractors) run $25,000 to start and have you
seen the price of diesel lately!!!! $1000 for a laser tube is starting to
sound resonable!!!

I have a ford 1700 (bought in mid 80's) with a 72" cutting deck that rig
cost me close to $8000 then ..... was up at the farm supply shop the other
day and the new ones sure look pretty but the price ..... like I said
$25,000 to start!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 8 Jul 2008 07:37:52
Message: <48735190$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> I have a fairly big yard and another lot next door that I keep the grass cut
> (almost 7 acres) ..... after a particularly warm humid day of grass cutting
> I thought it sure would be cool to have a lawn laser ..... There are some of
> you in this group that have pretty furtile imaginations so I'm already
> laughing at responses! Now keep in mind that I just want to cut the grass
> but not harm bug, birds and any other critters that might get in the way
> ..... haha ..... this might even make a good cartoonish POV scene.

If the region is warm enough to support growth throughout the year, put
a fence around the field, and then add a horse or two.

Overheard at the feed store in Mountain Home, Idaho:

RANCHER:  What was that last guy wanting?

CLERK:  Advice on taking care of his lawn.

RANCHER:  How big?

CLERK:  An acre.

RANCHER:  What a waste.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 8 Jul 2008 07:53:52
Message: <48735550@news.povray.org>
"John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> If the region is warm enough to support growth throughout the year, put a
> fence around the field, and then add a horse or two.
>
> Overheard at the feed store in Mountain Home, Idaho:
>
> RANCHER:  What was that last guy wanting?
>
> CLERK:  Advice on taking care of his lawn.
>
> RANCHER:  How big?
>
> CLERK:  An acre.
>
> RANCHER:  What a waste.
>
> Regards,
> John

i heard a simular story involing a six pack and a goat ..... sit back in a
lawn chair (in the shade of course) have a beer or two and watch the goat
take care of the grass

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 8 Jul 2008 21:59:09
Message: <48741b6d$1@news.povray.org>
> i heard a simular story involing a six pack and a goat ..... sit back in a
> lawn chair (in the shade of course) have a beer or two and watch the goat
> take care of the grass

I have a story where my neighbor drinks a six pack and his goat mows
everyone elses flower beds.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 11 Jul 2008 19:32:34
Message: <4877ed92@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> "John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>> If the region is warm enough to support growth throughout the year, put a
>> fence around the field, and then add a horse or two.
>>
>> Overheard at the feed store in Mountain Home, Idaho:
>>
>> RANCHER:  What was that last guy wanting?
>>
>> CLERK:  Advice on taking care of his lawn.
>>
>> RANCHER:  How big?
>>
>> CLERK:  An acre.
>>
>> RANCHER:  What a waste.

> i heard a simular story involing a six pack and a goat ..... sit back in a
> lawn chair (in the shade of course) have a beer or two and watch the goat
> take care of the grass

Goats are nice because they'll take care of the weeds; but as others
have pointed out, your neighbor's flowers are weeds to a goat.

Horses are much more discriminating in their tastes.  I have one, and
when I take it out on a lead to graze, it neatly avoids a few types of
weeds in my yard, and happily eats others.  It also has a distinct
preference for different types of grass, when given the choice.

If you have a daughter, horses are better.  Horses attract girls, and
that way your daughter has friends and will leave you alone when you
want to work on something.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Lawn Laser (a solution for Andrew)
Date: 12 Jul 2008 06:10:12
Message: <48788304@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> If you have a daughter, horses are better.  Horses attract girls,

Hah! That's the solution Andrew's been looking for.

Hey, Andrew, buy a horse :-)

John