POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Complains about Vista (Message 31 to 40 of 129)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Complains about Vista
Date: 2 Jul 2008 11:35:09
Message: <486ba02d$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:39:53 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   Isn't it a bit ironic that each new version of Windows adds more
>   things
> the user can *not* do, instead of the opposite?

It is, but AIUI, the original concept was that the system should be open
by default (I understand that was a design requirement that Gates put in
place).  Then they discovered that a default "allow" security policy was
bad, so they started retrofitting.

The thing that I find somewhat ironic is that piracy (which I don't
condone) is part of the reason that Windows is predominant on the desktop
these days.  It's far from the only reason, but people wanted Windows but
didn't want to pay for it, so they borrowed copies of it back in the days
when DOS shipped with machines and pre-installation was something that
was generally not done.

MS' answer to that growth is to make it more difficult to pirate.  I
think it would be interesting if they made Windows *free* (as in 0 cost
to the consumer) and allowed it to be copied.

Jim

Post a reply to this message