POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : License agreements Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:08:40 EDT (-0400)
  License agreements (Message 11 to 20 of 25)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: License agreements
Date: 25 Jun 2008 19:57:32
Message: <4862db6c$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> somebody wrote:
>> "Invisible" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>>
>>> So, the software is freely downloadable from their website, without any
>>> kind of restrictions, does not require any form of access code to
>>> activate, and when obtained legally comes with nothing to certify it's
>>> legality. But to use it you must "obtain a license".
>>>
>>> Is it just me, or does that seem weird to you?
>>
>> Not weird. Downloading and using are different.
>
> I think what's weird is that you don't need to agree to the license
> before you download it.
>
> What's illegal about using the software without a license?

I can download Windows XP without reading a license, that doesn't give
me permission (license) to use it.

>> Think of it as shareware
>> with 0 day limit but not crippled, which may be what's confusing you.
>
> Except if the shareware didn't say "you have to pay for this" up front,
> you'd be justified in continuing to use it. (I am not a lawyer, and I'm
> talking about "legally justified" not morally justified, perhaps.)

I think lawyers would disagree. It's a hazy area. Let's say I put up
some java based website that does something that people want to do. I go
to no trouble of hiding the java files, and maybe even leave the source
code out there for people to look at. Just because it is available does
not mean that someone else could take that source code and build a
duplicate site. I would still have copyright and they would be using an
unlicensed copy of the code.

If, however, I said 'download the source code here to use it' that would
change a lot of things.

>> the fact that the software functions without licensing does not make
>> using it without obtaining one any less illegal.
>
> The fact that the license is presented after you already have a
> functioning version of the software is what makes the license
> meaningless, at least in the USA.

According to whom? Inside the box and click-thru while installing
licenses are still common in the USA. I agree they are evil, but they
are still being enforced. You have the working version of the software,
and still have to agree to the license before using it.

Post a reply to this message

> I can download Windows XP without reading a license, that doesn't give
> me permission (license) to use it.

Not because of the license, but because the downloading itself is illegal.

>>> Think of it as shareware
>>> with 0 day limit but not crippled, which may be what's confusing you.
>>
>> Except if the shareware didn't say "you have to pay for this" up
>> front, you'd be justified in continuing to use it. (I am not a lawyer,
>> and I'm talking about "legally justified" not morally justified,
>> perhaps.)
>>

> I think lawyers would disagree. It's a hazy area.

Certainly.

The basic point is that a license is unenforcable if you didn't agree to
it. Copyright is enforcable even if you don't agree to it.

 > Let's say I put up
> some java based website that does something that people want to do. I go
> to no trouble of hiding the java files, and maybe even leave the source
> code out there for people to look at. Just because it is available does
> not mean that someone else could take that source code and build a
> duplicate site. I would still have copyright

Right.

> and they would be using an
> unlicensed copy of the code.

Irrelevant. It's the copyright preventing them from making a copy, not a
license issue at all. If you were to take them to court and say "they
didn't agree to the license", the court would ask you what you're suing
for, then, since there is no contract.

It's exactly the same situation as someone giving you a quote to paint
your house, you deciding you don't want to spend that much, and them
charging you anyway. Without agreement, there is no license.

Indeed, in the USA, even *with* agreement, if the license prevents you
from doing something copyright law says you may do, the license is
invalid. (See Prolock v CopyWrite)

> If, however, I said 'download the source code here to use it' that would
> change a lot of things.

Yes. That would be giving them a license to *copy* it, not use it. You
can of course condition the license to copy on particular uses, like the
GPL does.

If you mail me a music CD out of the blue, and then say "you're not
allowed to listen to this until you pay me for it", you're not likely to
win your court case when I enjoy it anyway in all the ways that
copyright law allows.

>>> the fact that the software functions without licensing does not make
>>> using it without obtaining one any less illegal.
>>
>> The fact that the license is presented after you already have a
>> functioning version of the software is what makes the license
>> meaningless, at least in the USA.
>
> According to whom? Inside the box and click-thru while installing
> licenses are still common in the USA.

Yep. Neither is enforcable if (for example) the store won't take the
software back if you disagree with the license. Of course, it hasn't
really been through too many courts, but that's the general consensus -
you actually have to have agreement. Simply (for example) putting a link
on the home page that says "go here to read the terms of use" isn't
enough to show the person agreed to the terms of use.

> I agree they are evil, but they are still being enforced.

Because people are agreeing with the licenses. Note that if the
shrink-wrap license is *inside* the shrink-wrap and you can't see it
before you use the software, it's not generally enforcable. If the store
won't take back the software because you disagree with the license, it's
not enforcable. Otherwise, I'll just put a paper inside the sealed box
that says "by opening this box, you owe me 3x the money," and that
should be enforcable too.

This is all basic contract law. You can't bill someone for work they
didn't agree to after you already do the work. You can't let someone
pump gas, then tell them after its in their tank that the price actually
went up while they were pumping it. You can't fix someone's car, then
afterwards tell them they're obligated to drive you to work the next
morning.

 > You have the working version of the software,
> and still have to agree to the license before using it.

It's not working before you install it and click through. That's the
point. You agree with the license in order to get to the login screen.
You can get up to the point where you read the license agreement as
often as you want without the seller having any ability to legally stop
you from doing that.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: