POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : License agreements : Re: License agreements Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:11:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: License agreements
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jun 2008 04:13:29
Message: <48634fa9@news.povray.org>
>> In another part of the license, it says "by downloading this software
>> you agree to the terms of this license" - but you cannot *see* those
>> terms until after you download it. ;-)
>
> In the USA, that's going to generally be unenforcable. You have to know
> what you're agreeing to before you agree to it. Basic contract law.

So it should say "by *using* this software you agree". ;-)

>> If I decide to claim we're licenced to put the software on 13 PCs, can
>> I prove my claim? Can the makers disprove my claim?
>
> By putting it on more machines than you have CDs, you're making
> additional copies, which can be restricted against your will by
> copyright law. But if you only have three, and you didn't agree to a
> license at all, and you put it on three machines, you're golden. At
> least, in the USA.

OK. And the fact that I can download an unlimited number of copies from
their website with no record at all changes... what, exactly?

If you claim that owning a physical CD is the "license", then
downloading the software from their website is essentially illegal - so
why are they offering this service?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/