POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : About sounds in space in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:06 EDT (-0400)
  About sounds in space in movies (Message 27 to 36 of 56)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: About sounds in space in movies
Date: 24 Jun 2008 22:16:32
Message: <4861aa80$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>> Sounds like a bunch of rationalizations to me.
>
>   So?
>
>   What you do you suggest? Explaining the custom with irrational arguments?
> How would that make any sense?

Colloquially, the act of rationalizing something is the act of finding
reasons to support something you know is wrong.  In other words, this
sounds to me like they're just trying to find any excuse they can not to
change their ways.

>> I don't know about anyone else, but when I watch a sci-fi movie and the
>> camera is in space, I expect to hear whatever you would hear in space...
>
>   Thus you expect there to be a camera, even though in the fictional
> world depicted in the movie there is no camera.

Not necessarily.  When watching a really good movie, I feel like "I am
there."  It's a strange split; I experience the Point of View (gotta be
careful writing POV in these forums!), yet without the concerns of
actually being there such as danger from suffocation (or errant enemy
fire!).  As long as I can imagine that I see and hear things from the
point in space where the camera sits, I can forget about the camera and
merrily enjoy the illusion.  This is, after all, what Suspension of
Disbelief is all about.

Of course I know it's not real, and all that, but I can trick myself
into believing it for a while.  Anything "wrong" (such as badly
tesselated geometry, poor artificial lighting, a microphone boom
slipping into the picture or, in this case, sound effects in a vacuum)
detracts from my ability to fool myself.

>> ie, nothing.  The fact that there are added sound effects breaks the
>> fourth wall by reminding me that someone added those effects just to
>> make it sound cool.
>
>   That exact same argument could be used for *any* added sound effect
> in *any* movie. Which would make 99.999% of movies flawed.

Two things:

1) Not necessarily.  It depends on whether or not those sound effects
draw attention to themselves.  In this vein, the best movie score is one
which you don't notice.  Sound effects in a vacuum get noticed partly
because many people know there's no sound in a vacuum, and partly
because there has been such a big fuss made about it.

2) 90% of everything is crap anyway (this principle has a name, but I do
not remember it.  I'll google it later).  Not your 99.999%, but still
pretty close :)

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message