POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : About sounds in space in movies : Re: About sounds in space in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About sounds in space in movies
From: Phil Cook
Date: 25 Jun 2008 05:57:21
Message: <op.udatwiwgc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:13:05 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> On a different track, perhaps the computers on the ship see the lasers
> and ships, and make fake laser sounds and ship swooshes, in order that
> the pilots can have an instinctive understanding of what's going on
> around them without having to turn around. (Not unlike a HUD tracking
> your eyes to make it easier to activate controls in a fighter jet.)

Wasn't that how they rationalised it in Star Trek for the explosions?

Hey that could be it though, the ship keeps track of every ship in range
and when it spots one firing applies a sound to let you know; that would
explain why enemy ships can sound different to allied ships. Oh sure some
might say if that's the case it should be linked to navigation so it can
move out of the way of any incoming shots, but where's the fun in that?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com