POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : About sounds in space in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  About sounds in space in movies (Message 11 to 20 of 56)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Re: About sounds in space in movies
Date: 24 Jun 2008 08:36:13
Message: <4860ea3d$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> I liked the way Serenity handled this - all the space scenes were eerily
> silent, except for weapon firing / impacts, which sounded like they were
> being transmitted by the spacecraft hulls, not air (or some other
> gaseous medium). Not completely realistic, but quite a good effect.
>
> (I think the new Battlestar Galactica does this too, but not all the
> time, bizarrely).

I've watched Battlestar Galactica and they really do stick to "no sound
in space", although, if you're inside a ship or, as Warp mentioned,
you're in for the ride along one of the pilots, you can hear their
ship's sounds, e.g. breaking, impacts etc.
Generally, I really like how most of what happens in their space fights
is filled with music, not big explosions, even though the images are
really awesome and have depth I've seldom seen even in big movie
productions.

Regards,
Tim

Post a reply to this message