POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad photography Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Bad photography (Message 41 to 49 of 49)
From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: Bad photography
Date: 19 Jun 2008 21:17:27
Message: <485b0527$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:19:15 +0200, "scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
>
>>> The aperture on a camera is a hole or an opening through which light
>>> is admitted. Besides letting in more or less light it controls the
>>> depth of field. A small aperture gives a greater depth of field. It is
>>> also referred to as the f number or stops. I assume that Sabrina meant
>>> for you to decrease the aperture to cut down the total light entering
>> I'd say open up the aperture actually, to blur the background and make
>> Andrew stand out more.  Increase the shutter speed to compensate for the
>> increased aperture, then increase it further until the background is a bit
>> darker.  Then use some flash to make Andrew appear at a satisfactory
>> brightness.
>>
> Probably better, I wish Sabrina had said step up or down. There are a
> few ways of doing what's wanted but the best is to bracket the normal
> exposure IMHO.

I was thinking to close the aperture a bit. That bright of a day, I
didn't think that opening the aperture would leave any room at the flash
sync to get any light without seeing the shutter. Guess with that bright
of a pic with that much in focus it has to be a pretty small aperture
already, but I wasn't going that far with my thoughts yet.

I just graduated from a camera with a max sync speed of 1/64, I'm still
not used to digital cameras going up to 1/4000.

Post a reply to this message