POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint Server Time
8 Sep 2024 03:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Wow... how quaint (Message 40 to 49 of 109)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Wow... how quaint
Date: 6 Jun 2008 13:35:25
Message: <4849755d@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> When wires are disconnected and the user heads for mobile environment,
> "broadband" means pretty far "anything that connects"...

Anything an order of magnitude faster than the previous generation of
technology is "broadband"? :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Jun 2008 13:56:29
Message: <48497a4d$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:10:37 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Possibly my poudest achievement was splitting my OS disk across two
> floppies. This required me to completely require the boot script so that
> it rewired all the search paths dynamically, so half the files were on
> the boot floppy and half on another one, but the OS could still find all
> of them immediately. It's a lot more work than it sounds, but it worked
> magnificantly.
>
> [Again, I suppose theoretically you could do the same thing to a Linux
> distro with enough symlinks. But since I have absolutely NO CLUE how
> Linux actually works and this does not appear to be documented
> anywhere........]

man ln

Thing is, there's no need in Linux to boot off multiple diskettes for
Linux - you can do a bootable CD that has everything you need *if* it
doesn't fit on a floppy.  But there are distributions (Damn Small Linux
for one, Puppy Linux for another IIRC) that are entirely contained on a
single diskette.

Jim

Post a reply to this message