POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Jun 2008 14:40:29
Message: <4849849d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Possibly my poudest achievement was splitting my OS disk across two
>> floppies. This required me to completely require the boot script so that
>> it rewired all the search paths dynamically, so half the files were on
>> the boot floppy and half on another one, but the OS could still find all
>> of them immediately. It's a lot more work than it sounds, but it worked
>> magnificantly.
>>
>> [Again, I suppose theoretically you could do the same thing to a Linux
>> distro with enough symlinks. But since I have absolutely NO CLUE how
>> Linux actually works and this does not appear to be documented
>> anywhere........]
>
> man ln

I'm sure if you knew enough about Linux, you could do this kind of thing
pretty easily. I don't have the knowledge required.

> Thing is, there's no need in Linux to boot off multiple diskettes for
> Linux - you can do a bootable CD that has everything you need *if* it
> doesn't fit on a floppy.  But there are distributions (Damn Small Linux
> for one, Puppy Linux for another IIRC) that are entirely contained on a
> single diskette.

I *have* such a thing. It's a little Linux boot disk that allows you to
access an NTFS partition and rewrite the SAM DB. [The thing that stores
the local administrator password.] Very damn useful too! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/