POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Jun 2008 14:52:31
Message: <4849876f$1@news.povray.org>
>> this had real processing capabilities vaguely moddelled after Unix
>
> AmigaOS was farther from being UNIX-like than DOS 2.0 was. The two had
> absolutely nothing in common.
>
> Let me rephrase: What did you think was common about the two of those?
> About the only thing I can think of is they both had pre-emptive
> interrupts.

I always wondered why the hell AmigaDOS provided this lame little "more"
command. Or why it had "type". I was even more perplexed by "ed" - a
program that lets you edit a text file one line at a time by typing in
utterly cryptic instructions. And I often wondered why the "dir" command
has a "SHOW=" option.

...and then I read about Unix for the first time, and I realised that
that's where all this stuff comes from. That "ed" thing is for scripted
editing of text files. The "SHOW=" option allows you to write
scripts-that-write-scripts. "type" is basically the Unix "cat" program.
And "more" is there because it's there in Unix.

[On top of that AmigaDOS allows scripts to have multiple parameters
(with default values), local environment variables, uses variable
expansion, and generally does a number of things similar to what various
Unix shells give you. It also has pipes, launching background processes,
etc.]

Obviously there's also a truckload of ways AmigaOS is *different* from
Unix. [There are no device files, pathnames have a syntax more like
MS-DOS, configuration is always stored in binary files not text files...]

>> [Again, I suppose theoretically you could do the same thing to a Linux
>> distro with enough symlinks. But since I have absolutely NO CLUE how
>> Linux actually works and this does not appear to be documented
>> anywhere........]
>
> I saw a distro that used symlinks to completely "fix" the legacy layout
> of files. So their Linux had a /Programs and a /Library and a /Users and
> so on, not unlike OSX apparently has.

Now I would suspect that would tend to break horribly as soon as some
new application is added that expects everything to be in the normal
locations...

[Basically I have absolutely no clue how the traditional Unix file
layout is supposed to work. I don't know why, for example, we have /bin,
/root/bin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/share/bin...]

>> Ooo, ooo, and... TOKEN RING! Remember that?? Trying to get MS-DOS
>> powered PCs to talk to each other over a token ring network... Never
>> tried it personally, but I watched first-hand, and it wasn't pretty.
>
> I didn't have any trouble with that, except for the amount of RAM it
> took.  Left little for the actual applications.

They had trouble. Somebody walked past and the T-adaptor on their PC
fell apart, breaking the ring. That and the constant AUTOEXEC.BAT
editing required to set up new programs or devices on PCs...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/