POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now's the time to use PGP Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Now's the time to use PGP (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Now's the time to use PGP
Date: 5 Jun 2008 13:11:05
Message: <48481e29$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 17:49:59 +0100, Doctor John wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:31:14 -0400, Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>>
>>> It's illegal for our government to spy on us,
>>
>> That reportedly hasn't stopped the current administration from doing
>> just that...
>>
>> Jim
> Agreed. It seems that too often democratically elected governments seem
> to think that since they make the laws they are not necessarily bound by
> them - a modification of the Leona Helmsley priciple methinks.

Yeah.  I didn't vote for Bush either time, but I'm constantly amazed at
what I perceive as the "the law can't touch us" mentality in the
administration.

I won't even start on FISA....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 5 Jun 2008 13:17:26
Message: <48481fa4@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Agreed. It seems that too often democratically elected governments seem
> to think that since they make the laws they are not necessarily bound by
> them - a modification of the Leona Helmsley priciple methinks.

  I'd say it's more the classical principle of "the end justifies the
means". From the point of view of the gornment bending the law is
justified if the reason for doing it is good enough. For example,
averting terrorism is a good goal, and if reducing people's privacy
(even against existing laws) is necessary to do that, it's justified.

  Of course this just causes the moral dilemma of "two wrongs don't make
a right": Trying to avert evil by doing evil yourself might not be the
proper way.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message