POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now's the time to use PGP Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Now's the time to use PGP (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Now's the time to use PGP
Date: 5 Jun 2008 10:36:46
Message: <4847f9fe$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/04/sweden_wiretap_bill/

...what sort of intelligence agreements does Sweden have and with who?

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Now's the time to use PGP
Date: 5 Jun 2008 11:05:50
Message: <484800ce$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:

> ...what sort of intelligence agreements does Sweden have and with who?

Hmm - you have any idea how much data flows through AN ENTIRE COUNTRY
per day?

Quite a bit.

So they can scan this data - what are they going to DO with it? Not a
lot, is my guess...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Hmm - you have any idea how much data flows through AN ENTIRE COUNTRY
> per day?
>
> Quite a bit.
>
> So they can scan this data - what are they going to DO with it? Not a
> lot, is my guess...

You apply filters and look only at those bits which might interest you.
Actually, thinking about it they will probably routinely save all
encrypted mail for *Justin Case*.

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Jun 2008 11:26:18
Message: <4848059a$1@news.povray.org>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/04/sweden_wiretap_bill/

Actually, the scary part is the comments... Jesus, I thought *I* was
paranoid and delusional... o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 5 Jun 2008 11:31:13
Message: <484806c1$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/04/sweden_wiretap_bill/
>
> ...what sort of intelligence agreements does Sweden have and with who?
>
> John

Probably the USA. It's illegal for our government to spy on us, but
contracting someone else to do it outside the country, well that's just
hunky dory.

Conspiracies aside, probably still the USA corporate interests like the
RIAA and MPAA.

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 5 Jun 2008 11:38:22
Message: <4848086e@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/04/sweden_wiretap_bill/
>
> Actually, the scary part is the comments... Jesus, I thought *I* was
> paranoid and delusional... o_O

Ain't nothin' wrong with paranoia; it's required for all sysadmins and
related functions. Delusional is also ok 'cos you can delude yourself
into thinking you're doing something really important at 'ork
:-) :-)

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2008 11:42:16
Message: <48480958$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/04/sweden_wiretap_bill/

"The Pirate Party takes no position on the right / left issues, or other
issues which are outside our political program"

I never really thought of that benefit of a parlimentary system. You can
actually run with the intent to get one specific area fixed, such as
copyright law, and you don't have to take any particular stance on
terrorism, abortion, or welfare to get elected.  Kewl.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Jun 2008 12:40:14
Message: <484816ee$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:05:50 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Doctor John wrote:
>
>> ...what sort of intelligence agreements does Sweden have and with who?
>
> Hmm - you have any idea how much data flows through AN ENTIRE COUNTRY
> per day?
>
> Quite a bit.
>
> So they can scan this data - what are they going to DO with it? Not a
> lot, is my guess...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Jun 2008 12:41:10
Message: <48481726@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:31:14 -0400, Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> It's illegal for our government to spy on us,

That reportedly hasn't stopped the current administration from doing just
that...

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 5 Jun 2008 12:49:18
Message: <4848190e$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:31:14 -0400, Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>
>> It's illegal for our government to spy on us,
>
> That reportedly hasn't stopped the current administration from doing just
> that...
>
> Jim
Agreed. It seems that too often democratically elected governments seem
to think that since they make the laws they are not necessarily bound by
them - a modification of the Leona Helmsley priciple methinks.

John

finished," then he sat down.