POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now's the time to use PGP : Re: Now's the time to use PGP Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now's the time to use PGP
From: Warp
Date: 5 Jun 2008 13:17:26
Message: <48481fa4@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Agreed. It seems that too often democratically elected governments seem
> to think that since they make the laws they are not necessarily bound by
> them - a modification of the Leona Helmsley priciple methinks.

  I'd say it's more the classical principle of "the end justifies the
means". From the point of view of the gornment bending the law is
justified if the reason for doing it is good enough. For example,
averting terrorism is a good goal, and if reducing people's privacy
(even against existing laws) is necessary to do that, it's justified.

  Of course this just causes the moral dilemma of "two wrongs don't make
a right": Trying to avert evil by doing evil yourself might not be the
proper way.

--
                                                          - Warp