POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That's shopped... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  That's shopped... (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Darren New
Subject: That's shopped...
Date: 2 Jun 2008 16:42:34
Message: <48445b3a$1@news.povray.org>
I can tell because of some of the pixels.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=5-ways-to-spot-a-fake&sc=rss

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

From: Warp
Subject: Re: That's shopped...
Date: 2 Jun 2008 20:29:55
Message: <48449082@news.povray.org>
> http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=5-ways-to-spot-a-fake&sc=rss

  Just having highlights from different directions is not proof of
anything. At most the photo just deserves more scrutiny.

  There are natural explanations why different objects (such as eyes,
glasses or people) may have highlights from different directions, even
in sun-lit outdoor scenes. For instance, light may be reflected from
walls (which more often than not are white) and other structures, and
under proper conditions (such as properly placed shadows which cover
the Sun for some objects) it may make some object look like it's
lighted from a completely different direction than the rest. Also,
specular highlights in eyeglasses and such objects, especially in
indoor photographs, may get highlights from different light sources
and be shadowed from others. Thus two pairs of eyeglasses may have
wildly different highlights, yet it can all be perfectly natural.
(This is especially true if the glasses are even slightly oriented
differently, which may be difficult to see from the photograph.)

  As for president Bush's hand-written note, snopes.com disagrees:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/bushnote.asp

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message