POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oven physics Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Oven physics (Message 1 to 10 of 40)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Oven physics
Date: 1 Jun 2008 14:14:42
Message: <4842e712$1@news.povray.org>
So this is where I write a long rant about thermal dynamics, and
somebody comes along to tell me how completely wrong I am...

My mum's old oven was always too hot. It would burn anything you tried
to cook to a cinder. My mum remains convinced this is because the
thermostat was faulty. This is nonesense because... IT DOESN'T HAVE A
THERMOSTAT.

The temparature control on the front just adjusts the size of the flame
(by adjusting how fast the gas is let in). There's no temparature sensor
beyond the one used to check that the gas has ignited.

I've told her this repeatedly. Her responce has always been "oh yeah? So
how come the oven doesn't just constantly heat up until it melts?"

The answer, of course, is: BECAUSE IT'S NOT A PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINE!

This afternoon, I sat down and worked out the whole thing. See, you
light a fire in the back of the oven, and it injects heat at a constant
rate. An oven is well insulated - that's why even with a relatively tiny
flame, it can reach a few hundred degrees Centigrade inside. But any hot
object inevitably looses heat.

As the oven gets hotter, it looses heat faster. Eventually, the rate at
which heat is lost equals the rate at which the flame is adding heat. At
this point, the oven now holds a constant temparature. No thermostat
required.

Adjusting the size of the flame changes the rate of heat injection, and
hence moves the steady-state temparature.

It's the same physics that causes an object to reach terminal velocity
in freefall, and why your car doesn't have an infinite top speed.

"Oh yeah? So how come the central heating system has a thermostat then?"

Well, our oven adjusts temparature by changing the size of the flame.
The boiler for the heating does NOT adjust the size of the flame - only
the duty cycle. Switching a flame on and off requires a thermostat.

More importantly, the inside of an oven is a few hundred degrees hotter
than the outside. If the outside temparature moves 10 degrees, it's not
going to change the steady-state temparature inside by much. On the
other hand, the temparature outside your house is normally much closer
to the temparature inside. So variations in outside temparature will
have a bigger effect.

On top of that, it doesn't really matter if your oven is 10 degrees
colder than you asked for, but it makes a pretty important difference if
your house is. So an oven needs less exact control than a house, and a
house has more significant variations to take into account.

I notice that electric cookers also use a thermostat. Again, this
appears to be because they modulate duty cycle rather than heat
injection rate, for whatever reason. (I presume it's just awkward to
smoothly adjust the level of a multi-kW electric pathway?)

Small question: The rate at which an object looses heat. Clearly this is
proportional to how much hotter it is than its surroundings. But is this
relationship linear?

 From what I can remember, the temparature of an object approaches that
of its surroundings according to an exponential curve ("cooling curve").
The derrivative of an exponential is also an exponential, so that would
indicate that as an object gets hotter, it looses exponentially more
heat. Right?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/