POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oven physics Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Oven physics (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: Oven physics
Date: 2 Jun 2008 07:37:14
Message: <4843db6a$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Small question: The rate at which an object looses heat. Clearly this is
> proportional to how much hotter it is than its surroundings. But is this
> relationship linear?

No.  The radiation of energy due to heat is proportional to the fourth
power of the absolute temperature.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Jun 2008 07:50:55
Message: <4843de9f$1@news.povray.org>
>> Small question: The rate at which an object looses heat. Clearly this
>> is proportional to how much hotter it is than its surroundings. But is
>> this relationship linear?
>
> No.  The radiation of energy due to heat is proportional to the fourth
> power of the absolute temperature.

And how about the conduction and/or convection of heat as a function of
temparature difference?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: scott
Date: 2 Jun 2008 07:56:01
Message: <4843dfd1$1@news.povray.org>
>> No.  The radiation of energy due to heat is proportional to the fourth
>> power of the absolute temperature.

Also your item receives radiation from other objects nearby, and of course
the amount depends on the temperature of them.

> And how about the conduction and/or convection of heat as a function of
> temparature difference?

Conduction is linear with temperature difference, convection is more complex
because it involves fluid flow.

Also, bear in mind that the thermal properties (specific heat, conductivity,
emissivity) will change significantly with temperature, so it is really hard
to give a straightforward function of temperature.

Post a reply to this message