POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oven physics : Re: Oven physics Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oven physics
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Jun 2008 08:03:13
Message: <4843e181@news.povray.org>
>> Now I simply *must* know if the specific heat capacity of oil is
>> significantly different from water...
>
> I think it's actually lower than water.

According to Wikipedia (which, obviously, is never wrong), the specific
heat of water is about 4.1 J per g per degree, whereas for parafin wax
(the only organic compound I could find) it's 2.2 - roughly half.

I'd be interested to know what it is for typical animal fat. And also
for sugar, actually.

At this point, I hypothesize that these substances remain hotter than
hot water due to the lack of evatorative cooling...

>> (Every time I make cheese toasties, the cheese inside is hotter than
>> lava! They should fill storage heaters with that stuff or something...)
>
> They use it for storage heaters and cooling electrical stuff because it
> doesn't boil at 100 degrees and is an insulator.

I would imagine the fact that it doesn't corrode metal is a fact too... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/