POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oven physics : Re: Oven physics Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oven physics
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Jun 2008 08:07:33
Message: <4843e285$1@news.povray.org>
>>> No.  The radiation of energy due to heat is proportional to the
>>> fourth power of the absolute temperature.
>
> Also your item receives radiation from other objects nearby, and of
> course the amount depends on the temperature of them.

Which, I presume, means an object at thermal equilibrium emits and
absorbs equal amounts of radiation.

>> And how about the conduction and/or convection of heat as a function
>> of temparature difference?
>
> Conduction is linear with temperature difference, convection is more
> complex because it involves fluid flow.
>
> Also, bear in mind that the thermal properties (specific heat,
> conductivity, emissivity) will change significantly with temperature, so
> it is really hard to give a straightforward function of temperature.

OK. Well when I did some simple experiments at school, we found that a
glass of boiling water apporaches thermal equilibrium more or less
logarithmically. So I think we can safely conclude that thermal losses
increase at least linearly with temparature - even if the exact function
is hard to pin down.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/