POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FPGAs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  FPGAs (Message 4 to 13 of 23)
<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: FPGAs
Date: 20 May 2008 04:11:39
Message: <483287bb$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:

> just be careful you don't cause it to crack, leak and smoke....

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Invisible
Date: 20 May 2008 04:12:12
Message: <483287dc$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> I'd start with Google or Wikipedia - both link to some fairly useful
> resources. ;-)

Oh, sure, there's information out there. I was just wondering if anybody
around here had practical experience with such things.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 20 May 2008 12:38:03
Message: <4832fe6b@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> I'd start with Google or Wikipedia - both link to some fairly useful
>> resources. ;-)
>
> Oh, sure, there's information out there. I was just wondering if anybody
> around here had practical experience with such things.

I know somebody trying to port SETI@Home to FPGAs. Slow progress.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 May 2008 13:28:46
Message: <48330a4e$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 20 May 2008 09:12:12 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> I'd start with Google or Wikipedia - both link to some fairly useful
>> resources. ;-)
>
> Oh, sure, there's information out there. I was just wondering if anybody
> around here had practical experience with such things.

Ah. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 23 May 2008 04:32:39
Message: <48368127$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with using FPGAs?

...so that'd be a "no" them.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Chris Cason
Date: 25 May 2008 18:44:34
Message: <4839ebd2@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> So I know there's a fairly diverse set of people in here so... Anybody
> have any experience with using FPGAs? It's something I've often thought
> of playing with, but I have no idea (1) how much it costs, and (2) how
> difficult it is to make something that works.

If you want to fork out $15, I suggest you subscribe to Circuit Cellar's
electronic edition (http://www.circuitcellar.com/). The June edition (not
yet shown on the website, though it is available for download) features a
raytracer implemented in an FPGA. It uses 24-bit fixed-point math, so is
not really useful for assisting POV, but still it's an interesting project
if you're curious about FPGA's. They also use the FPGA to implement a
framebuffer and generate VGA output.

NB you can purchase one-off editions, but that issue isn't yet linked.

-- Chris

PS in answer to your question, FPGA's cost anything from 'very little' to
'too much'. Around here we use some high-end Xilinx devices which IIRC cost
around $600 each - but that series are definitely not hobbyist devices.

Post a reply to this message

> If you want to fork out $15, I suggest you subscribe to Circuit Cellar's
> electronic edition (http://www.circuitcellar.com/). The June edition (not
> yet shown on the website, though it is available for download) features a
> raytracer implemented in an FPGA. It uses 24-bit fixed-point math, so is
> not really useful for assisting POV, but still it's an interesting project
> if you're curious about FPGA's. They also use the FPGA to implement a
> framebuffer and generate VGA output.
>
> NB you can purchase one-off editions, but that issue isn't yet linked.
>
> -- Chris
>
> PS in answer to your question, FPGA's cost anything from 'very little' to
> 'too much'. Around here we use some high-end Xilinx devices which IIRC cost
> around $600 each - but that series are definitely not hobbyist devices.

Heh. Chris Cason. Is there anything he can't do? ;-)

I've been to the Xilinx website and looked at the various "development
boards" they offer, and most of them seem to be around $2,000. Obviously
I don't have that kind of money. I'll have to hunt around further to see
if they offer anything at more sane prices.

Also, if memory serves me correctly, the Xilinx software is a free
download; they make their money from selling you the hardware. Maybe I
should start there... although circuit cellar certainly seems worth a
look too.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/