POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FPGAs : Re: FPGAs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FPGAs
From: Invisible
Date: 27 May 2008 06:17:18
Message: <483bdfae$1@news.povray.org>
>> Heh. Chris Cason. Is there anything he can't do? ;-)
>
> Get betas out on time?

OMG, PWN3D!!

[0wned BY YOURSELF! That's gotta be some uber-1337ness or something...]

> Also, keep an eye out for a CPLD devkit. CPLD's are (simply put) FPGA's
> with persistent configuration; i.e. you don't need to re-program them each
> time they are powered up.

OK, that's news. I was under the impression that an FPGA works something
like an EPROM - you use UV to erase it and then program in all the
circuit connections, and thereafter it just works.

>> Also, if memory serves me correctly, the Xilinx software is a free
>> download; they make their money from selling you the hardware.
>
> Like Altera they probably have an advanced version of the software that
> costs $$$.

Ah. Yeah, they probably have a free version, so you can see what it's
like, and then a super version that produces 10% more efficient layouts
or something. ;-)

> Back about ten years ago, even the base software version cost
> $1000 or so, but then they woke up to the fact that they are a hardware
> company and would probably sell more FPGA's if they didn't put barriers in
> the way of people designing with them. (This may seem obvious, but to bean
> counters, it apparently isn't: e.g. take the fact that Microsoft used to
> charge a few grand for the Windows 1.0 and 2.0 SDK's before realising
> they'd have more users if it was free).

Well, we charge people money = more money comes in. It seems like a
simple equation. Until you realise that the software is pretty much a
KILLER loss-leader... [It must surely cost them money to develop the
software of course, but it's fairly useless without the hardware.]

PS. I hear Xilinx bases their synthesis technology on Haskell. I don't
know how true that is...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/