POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FPGAs : Re: FPGAs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FPGAs
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 May 2008 03:13:10
Message: <483a6306$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:

> If you want to fork out $15, I suggest you subscribe to Circuit Cellar's
> electronic edition (http://www.circuitcellar.com/). The June edition (not
> yet shown on the website, though it is available for download) features a
> raytracer implemented in an FPGA. It uses 24-bit fixed-point math, so is
> not really useful for assisting POV, but still it's an interesting project
> if you're curious about FPGA's. They also use the FPGA to implement a
> framebuffer and generate VGA output.
>
> NB you can purchase one-off editions, but that issue isn't yet linked.
>
> -- Chris
>
> PS in answer to your question, FPGA's cost anything from 'very little' to
> 'too much'. Around here we use some high-end Xilinx devices which IIRC cost
> around $600 each - but that series are definitely not hobbyist devices.

Heh. Chris Cason. Is there anything he can't do? ;-)

I've been to the Xilinx website and looked at the various "development
boards" they offer, and most of them seem to be around $2,000. Obviously
I don't have that kind of money. I'll have to hunt around further to see
if they offer anything at more sane prices.

Also, if memory serves me correctly, the Xilinx software is a free
download; they make their money from selling you the hardware. Maybe I
should start there... although circuit cellar certainly seems worth a
look too.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/