POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FPGAs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  FPGAs (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: FPGAs
Date: 27 May 2008 06:17:36
Message: <483bdfc0$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've been to the Xilinx website and looked at the various "development
>> boards" they offer, and most of them seem to be around $2,000. Obviously
>> I don't have that kind of money. I'll have to hunt around further to see
>> if they offer anything at more sane prices.
>
> Try Sparkfun:
>
>   http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8458
>   http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8460
>   http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8595

That sounds more like it...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Aydan
Date: 27 May 2008 07:50:01
Message: <web.483bf4ca601c4b671ccf29180@news.povray.org>
> OK, that's news. I was under the impression that an FPGA works something
> like an EPROM - you use UV to erase it and then program in all the
> circuit connections, and thereafter it just works.

Some are OTP (one time programmable) but most are flash based today.

Atmel makes CPLDs and FPGAs, too.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 27 May 2008 08:05:55
Message: <483bf923$1@news.povray.org>
>> OK, that's news. I was under the impression that an FPGA works something
>> like an EPROM - you use UV to erase it and then program in all the
>> circuit connections, and thereafter it just works.
>
> Some are OTP (one time programmable) but most are flash based today.

A PROM is OTP; an EPROM (Erasable PROM) can be reused.

An EPROM usually works by having a little lense over the die surface,
through which you fire UV radiation to cause chemical changes in the
chip material which either 'connects' or 'disconnects' circuit pathways,
thus forming a ROM.

I was under the impression that FPGAs work in the same way, except
instead of opening and closing contacts between data lines and the power
rails to make bit patterns, you actually connect and disconnect blocks
of circuitry to make a custom circuit configuration.

Of course, flash RAM uses chemical changes to permanently store data
too; you just don't need the lense and the UV radiation. But I didn't
think you could use that technology to physically change connections...

> Atmel makes CPLDs and FPGAs, too.

Right, OK.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> >> OK, that's news. I was under the impression that an FPGA works something
> >> like an EPROM - you use UV to erase it and then program in all the
> >> circuit connections, and thereafter it just works.
> >
> > Some are OTP (one time programmable) but most are flash based today.
>
> A PROM is OTP; an EPROM (Erasable PROM) can be reused.

True

> An EPROM usually works by having a little lense over the die surface,
> through which you fire UV radiation
Correct

> to cause chemical changes in the
> chip material which either 'connects' or 'disconnects' circuit pathways,
> thus forming a ROM.

Partly right. You erase with UV-radiation and program with a higher than usual
voltage
The programming works by trapping electrons inside an insulated gate of the
field effect transistors used to form the logic gates thus enabling the
connection. The erasing via UV gives the trapped electrons enough energy to
leave the gate and thus disabling the transistor

> I was under the impression that FPGAs work in the same way, except
> instead of opening and closing contacts between data lines and the power
> rails to make bit patterns, you actually connect and disconnect blocks
> of circuitry to make a custom circuit configuration.

THat's how it works. You have switch matrices which connect logic blocks and I/O
pins with each other and also configure the logic blocks.

> Of course, flash RAM uses chemical changes to permanently store data
> too;

Wrong. Works the same as in eeprom with electricity and trapped electrons

> you just don't need the lense and the UV radiation. But I didn't
> think you could use that technology to physically change connections...

you don't physically change connections but control switches in the connections.

> > Atmel makes CPLDs and FPGAs, too.
>
> Right, OK.
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

Post a reply to this message

>> chip material which either 'connects' or 'disconnects' circuit pathways,
>> thus forming a ROM.
>
> Partly right. You erase with UV-radiation and program with a higher than usual
> voltage
> The programming works by trapping electrons inside an insulated gate of the
> field effect transistors used to form the logic gates thus enabling the
> connection. The erasing via UV gives the trapped electrons enough energy to
> leave the gate and thus disabling the transistor

Interesting. I was under the impression that you use UV to program it
too - much the same way that you use a laser to burn a CD. (Obviously
you don't actually "burn" anything; you induce a chemical change in the
ink.)

>> Of course, flash RAM uses chemical changes to permanently store data
>> too;
>
> Wrong. Works the same as in eeprom with electricity and trapped electrons

Again, I was under the impression that you use a large current to
chemically change the components such that they now respond to
electricity differently, and that's how you store information.

>> you just don't need the lense and the UV radiation. But I didn't
>> think you could use that technology to physically change connections...
>
> you don't physically change connections but control switches in the connections.

Mmm, OK.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/