POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FPGAs : Re: FPGAs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FPGAs
From: Invisible
Date: 27 May 2008 10:14:36
Message: <483c174c$1@news.povray.org>
Aydan wrote:

>> to cause chemical changes in the
>> chip material which either 'connects' or 'disconnects' circuit pathways,
>> thus forming a ROM.
>
> Partly right. You erase with UV-radiation and program with a higher than usual
> voltage
> The programming works by trapping electrons inside an insulated gate of the
> field effect transistors used to form the logic gates thus enabling the
> connection. The erasing via UV gives the trapped electrons enough energy to
> leave the gate and thus disabling the transistor

Interesting. I was under the impression that you use UV to program it
too - much the same way that you use a laser to burn a CD. (Obviously
you don't actually "burn" anything; you induce a chemical change in the
ink.)

>> Of course, flash RAM uses chemical changes to permanently store data
>> too;
>
> Wrong. Works the same as in eeprom with electricity and trapped electrons

Again, I was under the impression that you use a large current to
chemically change the components such that they now respond to
electricity differently, and that's how you store information.

>> you just don't need the lense and the UV radiation. But I didn't
>> think you could use that technology to physically change connections...
>
> you don't physically change connections but control switches in the connections.

Mmm, OK.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/