POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FPGAs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  FPGAs (Message 11 to 20 of 23)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: FPGAs
Date: 27 May 2008 02:55:25
Message: <483bb05d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Heh. Chris Cason. Is there anything he can't do? ;-)

Get betas out on time?

> I've been to the Xilinx website and looked at the various "development
> boards" they offer, and most of them seem to be around $2,000. Obviously
> I don't have that kind of money. I'll have to hunt around further to see
> if they offer anything at more sane prices.

Hmmm, thought they had some cheap ones. Check out Altera. I seem to recall
they have some small, cheapish (around the $100-$200 mark) boards.

Also, keep an eye out for a CPLD devkit. CPLD's are (simply put) FPGA's
with persistent configuration; i.e. you don't need to re-program them each
time they are powered up.

> Also, if memory serves me correctly, the Xilinx software is a free
> download; they make their money from selling you the hardware. Maybe I

Like Altera they probably have an advanced version of the software that
costs $$$. Back about ten years ago, even the base software version cost
$1000 or so, but then they woke up to the fact that they are a hardware
company and would probably sell more FPGA's if they didn't put barriers in
the way of people designing with them. (This may seem obvious, but to bean
counters, it apparently isn't: e.g. take the fact that Microsoft used to
charge a few grand for the Windows 1.0 and 2.0 SDK's before realising
they'd have more users if it was free).

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> I've been to the Xilinx website and looked at the various "development
> boards" they offer, and most of them seem to be around $2,000. Obviously
> I don't have that kind of money. I'll have to hunt around further to see
> if they offer anything at more sane prices.

Try Sparkfun:

  http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8458
  http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8460
  http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8595

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

>> Heh. Chris Cason. Is there anything he can't do? ;-)
>
> Get betas out on time?

OMG, PWN3D!!

[0wned BY YOURSELF! That's gotta be some uber-1337ness or something...]

> Also, keep an eye out for a CPLD devkit. CPLD's are (simply put) FPGA's
> with persistent configuration; i.e. you don't need to re-program them each
> time they are powered up.

OK, that's news. I was under the impression that an FPGA works something
like an EPROM - you use UV to erase it and then program in all the
circuit connections, and thereafter it just works.

>> Also, if memory serves me correctly, the Xilinx software is a free
>> download; they make their money from selling you the hardware.
>
> Like Altera they probably have an advanced version of the software that
> costs $$$.

Ah. Yeah, they probably have a free version, so you can see what it's
like, and then a super version that produces 10% more efficient layouts
or something. ;-)

> Back about ten years ago, even the base software version cost
> $1000 or so, but then they woke up to the fact that they are a hardware
> company and would probably sell more FPGA's if they didn't put barriers in
> the way of people designing with them. (This may seem obvious, but to bean
> counters, it apparently isn't: e.g. take the fact that Microsoft used to
> charge a few grand for the Windows 1.0 and 2.0 SDK's before realising
> they'd have more users if it was free).

Well, we charge people money = more money comes in. It seems like a
simple equation. Until you realise that the software is pretty much a
KILLER loss-leader... [It must surely cost them money to develop the
software of course, but it's fairly useless without the hardware.]

PS. I hear Xilinx bases their synthesis technology on Haskell. I don't
know how true that is...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> I've been to the Xilinx website and looked at the various "development
>> boards" they offer, and most of them seem to be around $2,000. Obviously
>> I don't have that kind of money. I'll have to hunt around further to see
>> if they offer anything at more sane prices.
>
> Try Sparkfun:
>
>   http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8458
>   http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8460
>   http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8595

That sounds more like it...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> OK, that's news. I was under the impression that an FPGA works something
> like an EPROM - you use UV to erase it and then program in all the
> circuit connections, and thereafter it just works.

Some are OTP (one time programmable) but most are flash based today.

Atmel makes CPLDs and FPGAs, too.

Post a reply to this message