POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle Server Time
8 Sep 2024 19:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  A small puzzle (Message 49 to 58 of 198)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: A small puzzle
Date: 19 May 2008 10:52:37
Message: <48319435$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> Solving a single quadratic equation is trivial.
>
> What do you call that equation you got at the top there?

A pair of equations welded together?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: scott
Date: 19 May 2008 10:56:02
Message: <48319502$1@news.povray.org>

> A pair of equations welded together?

A = B = C implies that B = C, no?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 19 May 2008 10:59:09
Message: <483195bd$1@news.povray.org>
> A = B = C implies that B = C, no?

Then we have -340 K = 3,400 = 4.905 K^2, which I still don't know how to
solve.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 19 May 2008 14:50:08
Message: <4831cbde@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> > A = B = C implies that B = C, no?

> Then we have -340 K = 3,400 = 4.905 K^2, which I still don't know how to
> solve.

  That's not what you had. You had this:

-340 K + 3,400 = 4.905 K^2

which is equivalent to

4.905 K^2 + 340 K + 3400 = 0

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 19 May 2008 16:16:24
Message: <4831e018$1@news.povray.org>
>> Then we have -340 K = 3,400 = 4.905 K^2, which I still don't know how to
>> solve.
>
>   That's not what you had. You had this:
>
> -340 K + 3,400 = 4.905 K^2

Yeah, a simple typo.

> which is equivalent to
>
> 4.905 K^2 + 340 K + 3400 = 0

Mmm, I hadn't realised that.

[But... are the signs correct?]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 19 May 2008 17:01:55
Message: <4831eac3@news.povray.org>
> > 4.905 K^2 + 340 K + 3400 = 0

> Mmm, I hadn't realised that.

> [But... are the signs correct?]

  Probably not because that curve doesn't get even close to 0.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: A different measure
Date: 19 May 2008 21:27:49
Message: <MPG.229bd6fc13b27a1798a157@news.povray.org>
In article <48316f48$1@news.povray.org>, sco### [at] scottcom says...
> > to keep it against such small things as air friction isn't all that lar
ge.

> At 75 mph air friction isn't small.  A lot of small cars give up not much

> faster than this because their engine cannot generate enough power to
> overcome the air friction.

Yep. A lot of truck companies in the US are down-tuning their trucks to
run between 60-65 now, instead of 70+, because they *save* 25% on fuel
just by doing that. The last time we had a gas crisis, the President
opted to mandate a nation wide reduction to 55MPH, to force people to
save fuel.

This one... Has increased the amount of "reserve" oil stored away for
when we run out of the real stuff, lowered environmental standards,
where possible, to help promote pumping, and a mess of other useless BS.
Somehow the things that "would" effect cost and usage... he just never
thinks of. But then, what do you expect from a guy whose campaign was,
in part, funded by the very credit people that later wrote the law to
make it harder to file bankruptcy, so you didn't have to *pay* the
credit people? Fixing the real problem isn't what he wants. He wants to
pretend that, as long as it not him whose house is in foreclosure, him
that has 90 credit cards, all maxed, or him that has to spend the babies
milk money on gas, everything is just peachy. After all, according to
him, my yearly income *must be* $100,000 a year (never mind that its not
even 1/5th of that... There simply isn't a problem from the perspective
of the people like him.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: scott
Date: 20 May 2008 03:22:57
Message: <48327c51$1@news.povray.org>
> Yep. A lot of truck companies in the US are down-tuning their trucks to
> run between 60-65 now, instead of 70+, because they *save* 25% on fuel
> just by doing that.

All trucks over 3500 kg in the EU are physically limited to 90 km/h (55
mph).  Most countries have a limit for trucks equal or higher than that (eg
in the UK it is 60 mph, but of course no truck can go that speed), but some
have lower, eg in Germany it's 80 km/h for trucks.

> The last time we had a gas crisis, the President
> opted to mandate a nation wide reduction to 55MPH, to force people to
> save fuel.

Have different speed limits depending on how much pollution your car
produces.  Allow the most fuel efficient cars to go slightly faster than
they can today, and make other cars go slower.  In the centre of cities that
are prone to pollution, simply don't allow the most fuel inefficient cars to
enter.  We have a system like that just starting off here in Germany.

> or him that has to spend the babies
> milk money on gas,

Sorry, I don't accept complaints about gas prices from people living in the
US :-) Your prices are ridiculously low no matter how expensive you say they
are.

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 20 May 2008 12:00:14
Message: <4832f58e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Have different speed limits depending on how much pollution your car
> produces.  Allow the most fuel efficient cars to go slightly faster than
> they can today, and make other cars go slower.  In the centre of cities

That would require more lanes. On a normal 2-lane (1 per direction) road
different limits on same-class cars only generates angry drivers, while
the traffic ain't smooth and easy anymore, but there's lots and lots of
overtakes going on all the time.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 20 May 2008 14:38:19
Message: <48331a9b$1@news.povray.org>
Le Sun, 18 May 2008 18:44:19 +0200, Tor Olav Kristensen a modifié des
petits morceaux de l'univers pour nous faire lire :

> Warp wrote:
>>   3500 rpm = 3500*60 rph, and in 1 hour it travels 75 miles. Thus
>>   divide
>> 75 miles by 3500*60 revolutions, and you have the amount of miles per
>> one revolution, which would be approximately 0.0003571428 miles.
>>
>>   Given that I'm not sure which whacky units miles are divided into,
>
> 0.0003571428 mile
> = 1 foot + 2 hands + 2.6285678 inches = 22 and 5/8 inch (and something).
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=1+foot+2+hands+2.6285678+inches+in+miles
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%2822+5/8+%29+inches+in+miles
>
> 1 mile
> = 8 furlongs
[snip]
> 1 hand
> = 4 inches
>
> 1 inch
> = 1000 mils

And you did not even talk about time & liquid & weight...
A gallon, a ton or just a fortnight ?

In Montreal or Los angeles... or Sydney!

Metrics rulez!