POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A different measure Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A different measure
From: scott
Date: 20 May 2008 03:22:57
Message: <48327c51$1@news.povray.org>
> Yep. A lot of truck companies in the US are down-tuning their trucks to
> run between 60-65 now, instead of 70+, because they *save* 25% on fuel
> just by doing that.

All trucks over 3500 kg in the EU are physically limited to 90 km/h (55
mph).  Most countries have a limit for trucks equal or higher than that (eg
in the UK it is 60 mph, but of course no truck can go that speed), but some
have lower, eg in Germany it's 80 km/h for trucks.

> The last time we had a gas crisis, the President
> opted to mandate a nation wide reduction to 55MPH, to force people to
> save fuel.

Have different speed limits depending on how much pollution your car
produces.  Allow the most fuel efficient cars to go slightly faster than
they can today, and make other cars go slower.  In the centre of cities that
are prone to pollution, simply don't allow the most fuel inefficient cars to
enter.  We have a system like that just starting off here in Germany.

> or him that has to spend the babies
> milk money on gas,

Sorry, I don't accept complaints about gas prices from people living in the
US :-) Your prices are ridiculously low no matter how expensive you say they
are.