POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why does this not surprise me? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Why does this not surprise me? (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Why does this not surprise me?
Date: 14 May 2008 04:26:58
Message: <482aa252$1@news.povray.org>
> We had one optional (extra credit) section on a network prac that involved
> hacking various computers around the university.
> Questions included getting a login prompt on the admin's server (IP
> restricted), modifying the Journ dept's website and obtaining a file from
> one of the Comp Sci lecturer's PCs

Most of what we did was totally outside any lectures or classes ;-)

The one that took most thought was the "round of applause" I made.  On the
network drive there were some example sound files, one was a round of
applause that lasted for like 10 seconds.  I thought about how cool it would
be if all the computers in the computer room played this at once.  In the
end I put a program on the shared work drive (that everyone opened to load
example work etc) that loaded automatically and sat in the background.  It
then constantly checked the presence of that program on the network drive,
and as soon as it had gone it started a 5 minute countdown timer before
playing that sound sample 10 times and then exiting.  Then all I had to do
was delete the program from the network drive during the lesson and wait for
the result :-D

Post a reply to this message