POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why does this not surprise me? : Re: Why does this not surprise me? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:17:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why does this not surprise me?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 May 2008 14:48:06
Message: <482b33e6$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Well, here's a question for you. Other than very generic advice like
> "don't use predictable secrets" and "don't execute code from untrusted
> users" (which really covers a lot more than you may think), what would
> you teach?

How about

   Rule #1: You will NOT "add security later". It doesn't workt that way.

If more people understood that, things would be *so* much better! Too
many people think "security" is just something you can buy in a box and
install as a seperate item. It isn't.

Of similar signifigance,

   Rule #2: People WILL try to circumvent security if it inconviniences
them too much.

After that we get into smaller details, such as

   Rule #3: Any user-supplied data should be thoroughly checked before
use. [For reliability as much as security.]

   Rule #4: Treat network data with suspicion unless you are absolutely
sure where it came from.

and so forth.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/