POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Which $200 - $300 computer monitor ??? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Which $200 - $300 computer monitor ??? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Shay
Subject: Which $200 - $300 computer monitor ???
Date: 3 May 2008 22:46:34
Message: <481d238a$1@news.povray.org>
Don't know much about them, but I need a cheap one. Any recommendation
or specific thing for which I should look?

LCD

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike the Elder
Subject: Re: Which $200 - $300 computer monitor ???
Date: 5 May 2008 09:15:00
Message: <web.481f07cde8a488b25a8888d90@news.povray.org>
Shay <sha### [at] nonenone> wrote:
> Don't know much about them, but I need a cheap one. Any recommendation
> or specific thing for which I should look?
>
> LCD
>
>   -Shay

I just bought the one below for $234.99 (USD) and am quite
happy with it. The ViewSonic that I had before this (an
older CRT style) lasted for eight years before I gave it
away and it still worked like new.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1294512

There is also a version with speakers for 40 bucks more.
Although not up to audiophile standards, the speakers can
be honestly ranked as "pretty good" by normal built-in
standards. (No trouble understanding the spoken word, no
huge gaps in dynamic range, etc.)

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1090312

As for CDW as a supplier, I use them at work because they
are quick and convenient and their prices are a bit below
average (although hardly "deep discount").  In other words,
they're "OK", but don't hesitate to shop around.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

> Don't know much about them, but I need a cheap one. Any recommendation
> or specific thing for which I should look?

*Not* Samsung if dead pixels are a problem to you...

Post a reply to this message

>> Don't know much about them, but I need a cheap one. Any recommendation
>> or specific thing for which I should look?
>
> *Not* Samsung if dead pixels are a problem to you...

Yup, they do seem to be trying to sell a lot of LCDs with dead pixels, but
so long as you buy it from a place that allows returns you should be ok.  I
think Samsung just buys up the cheap junk LCD panels that other
manufacturers would throw away ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> *Not* Samsung if dead pixels are a problem to you...
>
> Yup, they do seem to be trying to sell a lot of LCDs with dead pixels,
> but so long as you buy it from a place that allows returns you should be
> ok.  I think Samsung just buys up the cheap junk LCD panels that other
> manufacturers would throw away ;-)

Interesting... My mum's LCD is Samsung and it has so far performed
flawlessly. I bought it because it had the brightest, sharpest, most
saturated display in the shop. And an impressive viewing angle range

[I repeat: I bought the *display model* and it's still working fine.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/