POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I don't know what's worse ... Server Time
15 May 2024 16:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  I don't know what's worse ... (Message 140 to 149 of 149)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: I don't know what's worse ...
Date: 16 May 2008 16:36:56
Message: <482df067@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   (Another tidbit says that he once has said that the best way to learn
> programming is to take program source code which others have written and
> study them. IMO this is approximately the *worst* possible way to learn
> programming.)

Yup, there's me when I was 11 years old, looking at JS code from websites
and copying all of the bad practices.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 May 2008 17:03:56
Message: <482df6bc$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   (Another tidbit says that he once has said that the best way to learn
> programming is to take program source code which others have written and
> study them. IMO this is approximately the *worst* possible way to learn
> programming.)

Doesn't this rather depend on whether the examples you're studying are
good or bad?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 16 May 2008 18:14:30
Message: <482e0746$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Not hard to write one of those really. I could manage it, and frankly, I
> am not that great a programmer.

It's not hard to do it poorly. It can be quite tricky to do it well,
especially on unforgiving hardware (i.e., slow and small) to the point
where it's better than the competition.

> DOS and the rest didn't need to be well designed, efficient,
> complex, or even smart

You *are* aware that DOS was *supposed* to be source-compatible with
CP/M, basically, right?

Not that I'm saying Gates was a great programmer or anything. Just that
saying "evidence he was a bad programmer is that PC-DOS was compatible
with its predecessors" is illogical.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"