POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I don't know what's worse ... : Re: I don't know what's worse ... Server Time
29 May 2024 04:29:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I don't know what's worse ...
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 May 2008 07:08:20
Message: <48315fa4$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>>   (Another tidbit says that he once has said that the best way to learn
>>> programming is to take program source code which others have written and
>>> study them. IMO this is approximately the *worst* possible way to learn
>>> programming.)
>>
>> Yup, there's me when I was 11 years old, looking at JS code from websites
>> and copying all of the bad practices.
>
> At least you had websites! When I was learning to program I was too
> young to afford many books, the library only had 1 programming book on
> generic BASIC, so the *only* way was to hack apart programs from
> magazine discs etc to see what OS functions they were calling to do stuff.

I thought you were another Acorn veteran? IIRC the BBC Micro series, as
well as the Archimedes, all shipped with full manuals, including a BASIC
programming guide and a full list of BASIC-accessible OS calls. I think
you had to buy the assembly-language stuff and the complete OS reference
manual separately, though.