POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I don't know what's worse ... : Re: I don't know what's worse ... Server Time
11 Jun 2024 06:34:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I don't know what's worse ...
From: Darren New
Date: 16 May 2008 18:14:30
Message: <482e0746$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Not hard to write one of those really. I could manage it, and frankly, I
> am not that great a programmer.

It's not hard to do it poorly. It can be quite tricky to do it well,
especially on unforgiving hardware (i.e., slow and small) to the point
where it's better than the competition.

> DOS and the rest didn't need to be well designed, efficient,
> complex, or even smart

You *are* aware that DOS was *supposed* to be source-compatible with
CP/M, basically, right?

Not that I'm saying Gates was a great programmer or anything. Just that
saying "evidence he was a bad programmer is that PC-DOS was compatible
with its predecessors" is illogical.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"