POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Realisation Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Realisation (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Realisation
Date: 28 Apr 2008 16:05:48
Message: <48162e1c@news.povray.org>
news:481621d5@news.povray.org...

> I already keep all my data seperate from the OS. But game saves? You'd
> have to figure out where it stores them first. [Assuming they don't go
> in the registry.]

In every game I have, either in a subfolder off the game installation (hence
the suggestion to partiton and install elsewhere) or in a subdir off
Documents and Settings (hence the suggestion to redirect that folder)
Usually that's something like
C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\My Games

I haven't ever lost game saves when reinstalling the OS. Worst I did once
was forget to backup outlook, losing me 2 weeks of email

> The real fun part is Outlook Express. There must *be* a way to back up
> the data it holds, but good luck figuring it out. [Fortunately, I don't
> use it any more!]

If you have outlook as well, very easy. Even an evaluation copy works (iirc)
File -> Export -> Messages
That exports the messages into the appropriate folders in Outlook. From
there,
File -> Import and Export -> Export to a file. Then select the file type you
want.

The reverse works just fine too.

Or you can just back up the files that outlook express uses (right click the
folder and select properties to get the location)
On the new installation, find where the files are, shut down OE and relace
them with the backups

Post a reply to this message