POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Realisation : Re: Realisation Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realisation
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 28 Apr 2008 20:00:55
Message: <48166537@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:13:51 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
>> If I may make a stupid suggestion - partition the drive and put the OS
>> alone on the C drive. Redirect my docs and program files elsewhere. It
>> makes reinstalling that little less painful.
>>
>> Yes, I know you'll still have to reinstall most apps, but at least you
>> won't lose data you've forgotten to backup
>
> I already keep all my data seperate from the OS. But game saves? You'd
> have to figure out where it stores them first. [Assuming they don't go
> in the registry.]
>
> The real fun part is Outlook Express. There must *be* a way to back up
> the data it holds, but good luck figuring it out. [Fortunately, I don't
> use it any more!]

Thanks for reminding me, I need to find my Half-Life saves. I don't want
to redo those Portal trials. It should be easy to back up, I think the
save games are stored in the game's directory.

For Outlook, if you haven't formatted and reinstalled yet, you should be
able to export all of the email data into some kind of back up file.

I wish I kept a separate partition for all of my data. I'm busy backing
up stuff to dvds, since a virus got to the XP installation. It was there
for a few hours before I caught it, so all my passwords are getting
changed too. What fun.