POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : STRESS! Server Time
8 Sep 2024 05:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  STRESS! (Message 71 to 80 of 106)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: STRESS!
Date: 26 Apr 2008 14:15:38
Message: <4813714a$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> The answer will be that then they can remotely fix things when I'm not
> around, or if I don't know the fix.

If you're around, they can ask you for the password, and then you'll
change it when they're done. If you're not around, the boss can get the
password out of the sealed envelope in the safe as well as make sure
they've filed the appropriate paperwork.

If nothing else, *you* should have an account and *they* should have an
account, and the auditing should show who is logged in when and doing
what. They should not have any excuse to turn off auditing of privileged
operations.

> If there's one thing I've figured out, it's this: The Director of IT may
> or may not be any good at IT, but he is *guaranteed* to be better at
> politics than you. He had to get there somehow...

Of course.

> In fairness, they're not geniunely *trying* to make my job harder.
> They're just not terribly organised, and they don't really think through
> the consequences of their actions. And they're hopeless at communicating...

Changing the passwords regularly ensures that they communicate, is all.
Hopefully you've written up formally your AAARRRRGGHH experience and
passed it to your boss and your legal department.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"